Learn to Skate
Learn to Skate – SKATE UK
Each course runs for 6 weeks and includes six 30 minute lessons, skate hire and entry into the public session immediately after.
Next Course Dates
Thursday: 21st June until Thursday 26th July
Sunday: 24th June until Sunday 29th July
£50 for each 6 week training course
Our Thursday evening and Sunday morning 6 week courses are aimed at beginners of all ages who want to learn the basics of ice skating. Skate UK is the National ice Skating Association’s flagship Learn to Skate programme that teaches fundamental movements and basic skills. Our qualified coaches will help you towards becoming a better and more confident skater as you progress through the Learn to Skate grades, 1 to 8.
On taking part in this course you’ll receive a “Skate UK Record of Achievement” which is needed for each passing level. For each level passed, a certificate can be collected from the box office at a price of £1.50 each, and badges are available at a price of £3.00 each.
Once level 8 has been completed, there are a number of options open to the skater:
- You can become a member of the Bradford Ice Skating Club, which is on a Tuesday and Thursday evening, giving you an hour to practice at your own speed.
- Throughout the grades, personal one to one tuition is available from NISA trained professionals.
- You may decide that Ice Hockey is more your area and therefore can attend beginners hockey sessions on Wednesday evenings.
All bookings are based on a first come first served basis. Please book early at the box office to void disappointment, call in or give us a ring on 01274 733535.
Grades 1-4 6.30pm-7pm.
Grades 5-8 7pm-7.30pm.
Grades 1-4 10.30am – 11am.
Grades 5-8 10am – 10.30am.
SKATE UK – BASIC SKILLS PROGRAMMEThe Skate UK is a programme of basic skills; these are the fundamentals of the sport. Once a skater has completed this programme then they have the basic knowledge of the sport. This programme is tested under a progressive and continuous testing structure.
LEVEL 1 – SKATE UK
- Sit down and stand up
- March forwards across the ice
- Forward two foot glide
- Skate and Dip (Little Man)
- Turn around on the spot
LEVEL 2 – SKATE UK
- Backwards Marching across the ice
- Forward Swizzles (Lemons)
- Forward two foot glide on a curve (left and right)
- Two foot turn on the spot (forwards to backwards, back to forwards)
- Snowplough or T-Stop
LEVEL 3 – SKATE UK
- Forward stroking (showing correct use of blade)
- Moving two foot turn (forwards to backwards, back to forwards)
- Backwards Swizzles (Lemons)
- Back two foot glide
- Forward one foot glide (left and right)
LEVEL 4 – SKATE UK
- Forward outside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Forward inside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Basic forward Slalom (basic outside / inside edges)
- Forward continuous Chasses around a circle (left and right)
LEVEL 5 – SKATE UK
- Backward outside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Backward inside edges on a circle (left and right)
- Backward continuous chasses around a circle (clockwise and counter-clockwise)
- Forward crossovers (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Forward outside three turns (left and right) from standstill
LEVEL 6 – SKATE UK
- Forward inside three turn (left and right) from standstill
- Backward outside edges step to forward outside edge on a circle
- Backward crossovers (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Backward two foot Slalom
- Two foot spin (min 2 revs)
LEVEL 7 – SKATE UK
- Forward inside open Mowhawk (left and right)
- Backward crossovers to landing position glide
- Continuous forward outside edges along a straight line (as per Level 1 – Field Moves)
- Continuous forward inside edges along a straight line (as per Level 1 – Field Moves)
- Basic forward Cross rolls
LEVEL 8 – SKATE UK
- Continuously outside three turns around a circle (3 in a row); left and right
- Continuous inside three turns around a circle (3 in a row); left and right
- Step sequence: Three turns, Mowhawk, Cross rolls, Twizzles, Toe steps ect.
- Forward inside single Twizzle (left and right) (Hockey skaters forward Drag; left and right)
- One foot spin (min 2 revs) (Hockey skaters 2 foot spin; min 4 revs)